Be Your Own Valentine: Love Yourself!
With Valentine’s Day all about espousing romantic love, we thought it was essential to advocate self-love. We are so busy validating ourselves through another’s love for us that we neglect to love ourselves in the process! Self-love is the theme in our book WTF I’m Trying to Be Spiritual – A Guidebook for Loving Yourself without Fear in which we ask Spirit point blank how to love ourselves. Again, Spirit is all about common sense. Here are just a few from a list given to us. . .
The excerpt is taken from WTF I’m Trying to Be Spiritual © 2014 Jeanette Bishop and Helen Varga. All rights reserved.
HELEN: Here’s the big question: how do you love yourself?
JEN/UNIVERSAL SOURCE: Loving yourself is about taking care of yourself in all aspects of life. Simplistic but true.
1. Ensure your body and mind gets rest from daily living. What message are you sending to your body if you deny yourself rest or healthy food or just peace of mind? It’s a great place for negativity to root and deny yourself wellness.
2. Ensure your body and mind are fed good and healthy food, with room for little indulgences.
3. Don’t take yourself so seriously, so much so that you pin yourself into a pigeonhole that says you are anal and rigid. This can take many forms: rigid about having a “good time”; rigid about others; rigid about oneself and what one does.
4. Have healthy relationships or at least understand what a healthy relationship is. If you are in pain continually in a relationship, then it isn’t healthy. If you require allies to secure your point of view, this also isn’t healthy, and you will need to look at your part in that.
5. Speak the truth to yourself as best you can.
6. Find ways to speak the truth to others without being blunt or hurtful. Just think how you would feel if it happened to you; it’s about what you do to another, because you do it to yourself all for the sake of instant gratification.
7. Stop martyrdom; sharing is more conducive to a healthy mind and body.
Spirit has more great advice throughout the book. WTF I’m Trying to Be Spiritual – A Guidebook along with its companion WTF I’m Trying to Be Spiritual – A Workbook are available online at Amazon Barnes&Noble Indigo and AuthorHouse in paperback and ebook formats.
Artwork © 2019 Jeanette Bishop & Helen Varga. All rights reserved